Prince of Peace High School Engineering Class Takes a Walk on The Wild Side!
They soldered and they created!
POPCS students in Dr. Givens’ high school engineering class were assigned the task to use electronic and other component materials to create an animal-like figure that could stand on its own. The animals could be a mammal, insect, bird, or fish. The objective was to make the animal as recognizable as possible but lending creativity in use of materials and techniques.
The engineering goals that were accomplished in this project included:
- To learn a mechanical skill, in this case, the technique of soldering
- To develop creativity – to learn to invent.
- To understand that engineering must integrate with the rest of a business or company. To understand that products must be sold and that ideas for marketing to promote your product must also be developed.
- To come up with marketable/enticing name.
- To understand that the marketplace is competitive and that others will compete to be the best.
The finished projects were carefully reviewed by a panel of judges from the school’s administration and teaching team. The judges were impressed with the incredible detail and skill that it took to put together each entry. Their final evaluations selected the following winners:
1st Place – “Shelldon”
2nd Place – “Malleable Deer”
3rd Place – “Scotty Scorpion”
Honorable Mention – “Night Light”