- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) program
- Non-STEM program
The purpose: To position POPCS Science Department for expected growth and diverse student population, and maintain a highly competitive science program for all students. Both tracks are intended to prepare students for college.
- Provide for high achievers in a non-STEM curriculum.
- Non-STEM track will increase breadth with more emphasis on practical applications, real world examples and management of science.
- Designed to provide a more “hands-on” approach to understanding scientific principles.
- Prepare students for careers in: social sciences, fine arts, business/management, sports, and broadcasting/media.
- Emphasis: practical applications, breadth, world-impact, preparation for college career path, videos, demonstrations, projects, outside speakers, team teaching, outside readings, forensics, music, sports, and in-class homework.
- Provide for high achievers in a STEM curriculum.
- STEM track will increase depth with math content and technology emphasis.
- Create a more analytical approach to understanding scientific principles.
- Prepare students for careers in: engineering, science, health care, medical and technology.
- Emphasis: analytical, depth, preparation for college career path, problem solving, applications, and outside of class homework.
Students not planning a STEM career path will improve their grades and broaden their general scientific knowledge.
Students planning a STEM career path will challenge their grades while increasing their analytical scientific skills.